This was the first 50 count Night Goblin Horde I painted as part of the army. Armed with hand weapons, trusty shields, nets and full command. They followed the bow boys and I was making good time on them now. Even so they took over a month to paint from start of assembly to completion.
When I started the project I decided that there would be no static grass or flocking since I wanted a subterranean feel. But just the stalagmites and rocks alone were rather stark and boring so this time I added in a bunch of skeleton bits. If you look at the bases of the command group you will see that one skeleton is arranged across the three bases. I like to imagine they are the remains of victims from raids brought below ground to serve as fertilizer for the mushroom farms.
This was also my first use ever of unit fillers to break up the unit a bit visually. They are small ones and few, just a base with a stalagmite too large for a goblin to fit with too. Viewed from table side it is a nice effect.
Another thing you might notice is that I do use a sprinkling of spears in the unit. They help soften the units profile, give it a little more height and a more chaotic look. I did the same with my Skaven and really liked it.
For those interested the main color schemes are:
Happy painting all!