This is the third and final tutorial in this series. How to paint Hive Fleet Leviathan which is the current eavy metal studio Tyranid scheme. I’ve broken down their scheme and faithfully recreated here on Tale of Painters. Full guide after the jump.
This tutorial assumes you have a basic understanding of how to paint. For the beginners, I will explain the techniques as I go along. Each picture below shows four chronological steps. Underneath each picture are the corresponding instructions. Each step shows the paint I used during that step.
Paints you will need for this tutorial:
Pink Horror (layer)
Ceramite White (base)
Druchii Violet (shade)
Abaddon Black (base)
Xereus Purple (layer)
Genestealer Purple (layer)
Bugman’s Glow (base)
Kislev Flesh (layer)
Zandri Dust (base)
Screaming Skull (layer)
Flash Gitz Yellow (layer)
Mephiston Red (base)
Evil Sunz Scarlet (layer)
Armageddon Dust (texture)
Steel Legion Drab (base)
1. Undercoat the model white. You can do this by using a white undercoat spray or use Vallejo White Surface Primer and an airbrush.
3. Highlight the skin with Ceramite White leaving the Pink Horror shading showing through on the darkest recesses.
4. Use Druchii Violet to shade the join in the skin and any really dark recesses.
5. Paint everything that isn’t skin with Abaddon Black.
6. Paint 50% of each carapace plate with Xereus Purple.
7. Highlight the carapace edge using Genestealer Purple. Small parallel lines alone the edge creates a ridged feather effect. Check out the close up above to see what I mean.
8. Paint anything fleshy with Bugman’s Glow. This can be tongues, lash whips, feeder pipes, tendrils etc.
9. Highlight the fleshy part with Kislev Flesh.
10. Wash the fleshy part (never thought I’d write that on Tale of Painters) with Bloodletter Glaze.
11. Paint the teeth with Zandri Dust.
12. Highlight the teeth with Screaming Skull.
13. Paint the eye with Flash Gitz Yellow. Don’t forget the eyes on the weapon.
14. Paint the bio-weapon’s body and any claws with Mephiston Red.
15. Add some highlights to the bio-weapon with Evil Sunz Scarlet.
Do you like our tutorials and reviews? Here is what you can do to support us: Check out the websites of our sponsors, place your next orders at Wayland Games by clicking here or on the banner on the right. Thank you very much, we appreciate any help to keep us going.
Did you like this post? Then why not support Tale of Painters by using our links for your next purchases: Chronicle Cards / ebay / Amazon / zavvi. No extra costs for you and we'll get a small kickback. Or become a patron on Patreon for exclusive tutorials, guides, and behind the scenes content. We are hobbyists like you and do all of this in our spare time. Your support will help us cover our monthly costs and fund future projects so we can bring you more and better content. Thank you very much!
This website uses affiliate links.
Support our work
Tale of Painters is an unofficial Warhammer hobby magazine run by hobbyists like you. Support our work by using the affiliate links from our 🇺🇸 / 🇨🇦 partner stores for your next orders so we can continue to bring you fantastic FREE content every day:
Or become a patron:
Thanks a lot, we appreciate any help to continue and grow Tale of Painters 🙂