If you’re familiar with Tale of Painters’ tutorials then you may have noticed this is a different format to what I usually post. Because I had already completed these areas without taking step by step photos I’m unable to post the tutorial in the usual format.
This tutorial assumes you have a basic understanding of how to paint. For the beginners, I will explain the techniques as I go along. Each picture below shows four chronological steps. Underneath each picture are the corresponding instructions. Each step shows the paint I used during that step.
Paints you will need for this tutorial:
Mephiston Red (base)
Wild Rider Orange (layer)
Fire Dragon Bright (layer)
Yriel Yellow (layer)
Ceramite White (base)
Abaddon Black (base)
Lahmian Medium (technical)
1. Paint all the flames Mephiston Red
2. Paint the lower 4/5th of the flames using Wild Rider Orange
3. Paint the lower 3/5ths of the flames with Fire Dragon Bright
4. Paint the lower 2/5th with Yriel Yellow.
5. Paint Ceramite White inbetween the yellow flames at the bottom.
6. Paint (maybe drybrush) Abaddon Black on the tips of the flame.
7. Create a glaze of Mephiston Red by mixing plenty of Lahmian Medium into it. Paint the surrounding environment with the glaze, building up the layers (let each layer dry) the closer you get to the fire source. Keep it subtle and natural looking.
Do you like our tutorials and reviews? Here is what you can do to support us: Check out the websites of our sponsors, place your next orders at Wayland Games by clicking here or on the banner on the right. Thank you very much, we appreciate any help to keep us going.
Did you like this post? Then why not support Tale of Painters by using our affiliate links for your next hobby purchases: Noble Knight Games / Chronicle Cards / Amazon / ebay. No extra costs for you and we'll get a small kickback. Or become a patron on Patreon for exclusive tutorials, hobby resources, and behind-the-scenes content. We are hobbyists like you and do all of this in our spare time. Your support will help us cover our monthly costs and fund future projects so we can bring you more and better content. Thank you very much 😊
Support our work
Tale of Painters is an unofficial Warhammer hobby magazine run by hobbyists like you. Support our work by using the affiliate links from our 🇺🇸 / 🇨🇦 partner stores for your next orders so we can continue to bring you fantastic FREE content every day:
Or become a patron:
Thanks a lot, we appreciate any help to continue and grow Tale of Painters 🙂