In today’s post I share with you a complete photo tutorial guide to paint this Malkyn called Lighaen from Skaeth’s Wildhunt. More after the jump!
This tutorial assumes you have a basic understanding of how to paint. For the beginners, I will explain the techniques as I go along. Each picture below shows four chronological steps. Underneath each picture are the corresponding instructions. Each step shows the paint I used during that step.
Paints you will need for this tutorial:
Wraithbone Contrast Undercoat
Contrast Medium (Technical)
Averland Sunset (base)
Nazdreg Yellow (contrast)
Ubshanti Bone (layer)
Skrag Brown (layer)
Gryph Hound Orange
Skeleton Horde (contrast)
Loren Forest (layer)
Militarum Green (contrast)
Strakken Green (layer)
Waaagh Flesh (base)
Dark Angels Green (contrast)
Warpstone Glow (layer)
Liberator Gold (layer)
Reikland Fleshshade Gloss (shade)
Plaguebearer Flesh (contrast)
Stormhost Silver (layer)
Skeleton Horde (contrast)
Black Templar (contrast)
Screaming Skull (layer)
1. Undercoat your model with Wraithbone undercoat spray.
8. Paint Contrast Militarum Green over the leaf armour and the woven armour panels.
9. Highlight the leaf armour and woven armour panels with Straken Green.
12. Highlight the raised areas of the harness with a Glaze of Warpstone Glow and Lamian Medium. Repeat to increase the intensity of the highlighting. Edge highlight with Warpstone glow and a touch of water mixed in.
15. Repeat the previous step but this time use Plaguebearer Flesh over all the gold.
16. Paint thin highlight lines of Stormhost Silver on the gold.
17. Paint the claws and teeth with Skeleton Horde.
18. Using a fine detail brush, apply some Black Templar to the tip of the brush and then twist the brush and pull towards you on your mixing palette until you get a fine controlled line. Then paint thin defining lines wherever two colours but up against each other. This is called Black Lining and gives definition to the model. Thinner the better. Also paint the eyes with Black Templar.
19. Apply two dots to the eye leaving a black outline and a black dot in the middle. Also highlight the teeth and claws with Screaming Skull.
Check back soon for my tutorial on how I painted the base.
Do you like our tutorials and reviews? Here is what you can do to support us: Check out the websites of our sponsors, place your next orders at Wayland Games by clicking here or at Element Games by clicking here. Thank you very much, we appreciate any help to keep us going.
Did you like this post? Then why not support Tale of Painters by using our links for your next purchases: ebay / Amazon. No extra costs for you and we'll get a small kickback. Or become a patron on Patreon for exclusive tutorials, guides, and behind the scenes content. We are hobbyists like you and do all of this in our spare time. Your support will help us cover our monthly costs and fund future projects so we can bring you more and better content. Thank you very much!
This website uses affiliate links.
Support our work
Tale of Painters is an unofficial Warhammer hobby magazine run by hobbyists like you. Support our work by using the affiliate links from our 🇺🇸 / 🇨🇦 partner stores for your next orders so we can continue to bring you fantastic FREE content every day:
Or become a patron:
Thanks a lot, we appreciate any help to continue and grow Tale of Painters 🙂