Hello everyone, Aurelíe back with another tutorial, just in time for Christmas. Find out how to make ice bases with clear resin. For some Space Wolves miniatures, I wanted to create a transparent base that just looks like a snow-covered glacier.
What you need:
1. Protections: nitrile disposable gloves, face mask, eye protection (for the resin)
2. Flat stones from “Gale Force 9” rubble Mix, alternatively cork or polystyrol/styrodur
3. Silicone rubber from “Troll Factory”, a plastic container
4. Clear Resin from “Rast Deranauo” (consists of two components, 90g and 300g – ratio is 3:1, doesn’t smell much, but it’s hazardous so please use a face mask nevertheless)
5. Snow paste from german brand “NOCH”
First I covered the base with cork, stones and styrodur. For a lower profile I would use stones only. Then I sealed the base with a thin layer of glue. Next I created a chamber and put the base inside.
The mixing ratio for the silicone is 1:1. I filled it slowly into the chamber to prevent bubbles. After about 3 hours the silicone should be hardened. Carefully I removed the silicone mold from the chamber.
Then I prepared the clear resin (don’t forget to protect your body). I filled both components into separate cups, and added a little bit of Vallejo Air Ice Blue. Then I slowly mixed both components, taking my time to prevent bubbles.
The resin hardens very quickly. Once completely solid, I decorated the base with snow paste from NOCH.
I hope you enjoyed my tutorial. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via the comment section, e-mail or facebook.
Do you like our tutorials and reviews? Here is what you can do to support us: Check out the websites of our sponsors, place your next orders at Wayland Games by clicking here or on the banner on the right. Thank you very much, we appreciate any help to keep us going!