In this detailed tutorial I explain how I painted this spider for my Hobbit collection. More after the jump.
This tutorial assumes you have a basic understanding of how to paint. For the beginners, I will explain the techniques as I go along. Each picture below shows four chronological steps. Underneath each picture are the corresponding instructions. Each step shows the paint I used during that step.
Paints you will need for this tutorial:
Doombull Brown (layer)
Zamesi Desert (layer)
Ushabti Bone (layer)
Abaddon Black (base)
Ceramite White (base)
1. Undercoat the model black. I use Vallejo Surface Primerthrough my airbrush.
2. Paint the abdomen with Doombull Brown. Add some Doombull Brown highlights to the head of the spider. Finally paint the legs with Doombull Brown ensuring you leave black showing through at the joints and feet.
3. Use XV-88 to further increase the highlighting of the previous step. Make sure you leave Doombull Brown showing through on the legs as per the picture above.
4. Repeat step three, this time using Zamesi Desert.
5. Drybrush the rear abdomen with Ushabti Bone. Use a sponge to apply some Ushabti Bone freckles to it’s back.
6. Use a sponge to add some Abaddon Black markings to the abdomen.
7. Use Ceramite White to add thin line highlights to every leg, face and mandibles. Add small white dots to the eyes.
Finally base the model in a way which fits in with your collection. I used Stirland Mud texture paint highlighted with Karak Stone and the base edge was painted with XV-88. Static grass and scrub were glued on in small clumps.
Tale of Painters has a whole host of Hobbit tutorials for you to check out.
Do you like our tutorials and reviews? Here is what you can do to support us: Check out the websites of our sponsors, place your next orders at Wayland Games by clicking here or on the banner on the right. Thank you very much, we appreciate any help to keep us going.
Did you like this post? Here is how you can return the favour: Support Tale of Painters by ordering your next hobby purchases from our US affiliate partners by using our links: Gamenerdz, ebay, and Amazon. Or become our patron on Patreon, starting at only $1.49. Patrons receive sneak peeks, early tutorial access, and exclusive content. We are hobbyists like and you and do all of this in our spare time. Your support will help us covering our monthly costs and funding future projects, so we can bring you more and better content. Thank you very much!
Support our work
Tale of Painters is an unofficial Warhammer hobby magazine run by hobbyists like you. Help us cover our monthly expenses so we can continue to bring you fantastic FREE content every day. Here is what you can do:
Or support us directly:
We appreciate any help to continue and grow Tale of Painters 🙂