Today I’m gonna share my process for painting the eye-catching metallic teal effect of the XX. Legion.
Colours I used: Tamiya Clear Yellow, Clear Blue, Clear Green, X-20A thinner, Vallejo Air Silver, Vallejo Air Black
First, I prepared the paint mixes and used some X-20A thinner to thin them to the perfect consistency.
Mix 1: Clear Green + Blue (~2:1)
Mix 2: Clear Green + Blue (~3:1)
Mix 3: Clar Green + Bue (~1:5)
If you don’t use thinner, the airbrush will clog and thick drips will come out. Don’t add too much thinner either, and do not layer too wet to avoid puddles. I used a 0,4 mm airbrush. Be sure to use a mask!
1. Spray the whole model with Vallejo Air Silver.
2. Add some shading by adding Vallejo Air Black to the Silver and apply it on the model.
3. Apply an even basecoat of mix 1: Tamiya Clear Green + Blue (~2:1).
4. Apply mix 2: Clear Green + Blue (~3:1) to the lower areas of the model to get a greenish gradient.
5. I added more blue spots with mix 3: Clear Green + Blue (~1:5). In this step, spray the final layer over the shadows, the mixture shouldn’t be too thick, it’s better to dilute it more. Make sure that no puddles form, i.e. do not spray on one spot for too long
If you don’t like the result or if you sprayed too much paint in an area, you can always correct it by
starting again with silver. This way you can also correct possible mistakes.
I hope you enjoyed this brief walk through my process of painting Alpha Legion. If you want me to paint your models for you, check out my commission painting studio:
Until then, happy painting!
Do you like our tutorials and reviews? Here is what you can do to support us: Check out the websites of our sponsors, place your next orders at Wayland Games by clicking here or at Element Games by clicking here. Thank you very much, we appreciate any help to keep us going.
Did you like this post? Here is how you can return the favour: Support Tale of Painters by ordering your next hobby purchases from our US affiliate partners by using our links: Gamenerdz, and ebay. Or become our patron on Patreon, starting at only $1.99. Patrons receive sneak peeks, early tutorial access, and exclusive content. We are hobbyists like and you and do all of this in our spare time. Your support will help us covering our monthly costs and funding future projects, so we can bring you more and better content. Thank you very much!
Support our work
Tale of Painters is an unofficial Warhammer hobby magazine run by hobbyists like you. Help us cover our monthly expenses so we can continue to bring you fantastic FREE content every day. Here is what you can do:
Or support us on Patreon:
We appreciate any help to continue and grow Tale of Painters 🙂