Here we are with another Blitz Bowl team: The Reikland Reivers, or, as in my version, the Nordland Navalists. With this team, the Blitz Bowl box is complete! Probably the first Games Workshop box set I painted completely 😉 More pictures after the jump.
These took a bit longer than I wanted to, as I aimed for rather “quick and be done with it” paint jobs. Therefore, they are not my best work, but I’m still quite happy with them in a group shot. Inspired by the Empire’s Nordland providence from The Old World, they wear the traditional pale blue and yellow combined with white tights for a more sporty feel.
I was asked about my paint recipes for this team, so here they are:
Tights & armour underlayer
– basecoat the underlayer of the armour with Fenrisian Grey
– mix white with a little bit of Warpaints Fog Grey (or Fenrisian Grey) to tidy up the tights where necessary, then highlight the tights with Warpaints Matt White (or whatever your favourite white is)
– highlight the underlayer with Warpaints Fog Grey
– basecoat Alaitoc Blue
– pin wash with Drakenhof Nightshade
– chunky edge highlight with Warpaints Griffon Blue
– thin edge highlight with VGC Steel Blue
– basecoat VGC Pale Yellow
– wash with a 1:1 mix of Gryphonne Sepia and Lahmian Medium
– tidy up with a mix of VGC Pale Yellow and Averland Sunset where necessary, highlight with Pale Yellow
– final highlight with Warpaints Brainmatter Beige
– layer with VMC Basic Skintone, highlight with VGC Pale Flesh
– basecoat with VMC Basic Skintone
– layer with Warpaints Barbarian Flesh, highlight with VMC Basic Skintone
– basecoat with Warpaints Barbarian Flesh
– basecoat with Warpaints Plate Mail Metal
– basecoat Warpaints Oak Brown
– highlight with Warpaints Dirt Splatter
The recipe for the bases is in my Orc tutorial, however, instead of glazing with Warpaints Red Tone Ink, I glazed with Warpaints Military Shader instead.
And some markers, of course. Isn’t it a little bit unsettling that they sculpted fingernails on the Ork fist marker but not on the Human one? Little sausage fingers… For some reason, the Purity Seal varnish left a crackling finish on the metal on the eagle side of the coin. Guess I need to repaint that :/
But for now, I have some other stuff lined up, Underworlds warbands, some Space Marine Heroes, and I’d love to paint some Goliath gangers… so many models, such limited time. Let’s see what will pop up on the blog next 🙂
How do you like my Nordland Navalists? Leave a comment and reaction or below.
Shoutout to my fantastic patrons: Chris C., chaoticflanagan, Mike C., Wyliekyote, pawl, Fugu, FrenchHobbyist, Noelle S., Brinley, Nate H., Sigurd H., Karakal, Akhaed, Christian H., David D., Christopher O., James G., Ricardo G., Matt P., Doc Remington, Adam, Andrew R., Martin D., Roger N., Bastian O., Sam P., Jimmy, Kobold, Mark S., Chris M., NavyKes, David C., Andrii A., Truul0, Duncan M., Ryan N., Ryan McN., Tom H., Lucas R., David W., Joakim N., Robert K., Mathew L., Cameron Pickering, Chris C., Hector P., Luke C., Sean, and Tashi. Support us on Patreon for exclusive sneak peeks, early tutorial access, and more.
Support our work
Tale of Painters is an unofficial Warhammer hobby magazine run by hobbyists like you. Support our work by using the affiliate links from our 🇺🇸 / 🇨🇦 partner stores for your next orders so we can continue to bring you fantastic FREE content every day:
Or become a patron:
Thanks a lot, we appreciate any help to continue and grow Tale of Painters 🙂